Who can benefit from Hand Therapy?
Hand Therapy is for individuals of any age who have pain or limitation in the use of hand, wrist, or elbow. Symptoms can be a result of accident or trauma, but also repetitive use or chronic problems such as arthritis.
Symptoms which may be treated by a Certified Hand Therapist include:
- Hand pain, wrist pain, elbow pain
- Stiffness of hand, wrist, or elbow
- Loss of motion, strength, or functional use of elbow, wrist, hand or fingers
- Loss of sensation in hand or fingers
Diagnoses we treat include:
- Post-surgical rehabilitation of elbow, wrist and hand including tendon transfers
- Fractures: Wrist Fracture, Elbow Fracture, Radius Fracture, Ulna Fracture, Scaphoid Fracture, Carpals Fracture, Metacarpals Fracture, Phalangeal Fracture
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
- Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)
- Tennis elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis), Golfer’s elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
- Injuries of the Ulnar nerve, Radial nerve, Median nerve, Digital nerves
- Injuries of the Peripheral Nerves, Nerve Lacerations, Neuropathies
- Tendonitis / Tendinosis
- Extensor Tendon Injury, Flexor Tendon Injury
- Rehabilitation following amputation of fingers or hands
- Recovery from burns
- Arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis
- Trigger finger, Mallet finger, Jersey finger
- Swan Neck deformity, Boutonniere deformity
- De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis
- Dupuytren’s Contracture
- Brachial Plexus Injury
- Ganglion Cyst
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
- Other acute and chronic conditions of the elbow, wrist, hand or fingers.
What is Hand Therapy?
Each patient and diagnosis are different and treatment will vary. Hand therapy can include:
- Custom orthosis (splint) fabrication and/or taping
- Wound management
- Manual therapy such as soft tissue mobilization and joint mobilization
- Neuromuscular reeducation
- Paraffin bath
Patient education is an important element of your treatment and includes specific strengthening exercises, stretching exercises and functional lengthening and desensitization training.
Who treats wrist and hand conditions at H&D Physical Therapy?
Assessment and treatment are performed by a Certified Hand Therapist. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, or have received any of the above diagnoses, schedule an appointment today.