Post-Acute COVID Recovery
Who can benefit from Post-Acute COVID-19 Physical Therapy?
Anyone who had a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19 likely has some residual symptoms. Whether you were hospitalized or rested and recovered at home, inactivity of any length of time can impact your musculoskeletal system and cardiovascular systems. Evidence suggests that COVID is an inflammatory condition that can have an effect on any body system.
Symptoms after COVID-19 which can be addressed by Physical Therapy include:
- Shortness of breath (with or without deficits in oxygen saturation)
- Muscle soreness, muscle pain
- Muscle fatigue
- Generalized deconditioning
- Gastrointestinal issues, nausea
- Parasthesias, loss of sensation, numbness, tingling
What is Post-Acute COVID Recovery?
Each patient has had a different experience with COVID-19. Treatments may include, but are not limited to:
- Breathing exercises to restore efficient diaphragmatic function
- Breathing exercises to restore efficient autonomic nervous system function
- Soft tissue mobilization and stretching to address
- Muscle tension from inactivity
- Muscle tension from overuse with coughing or impaired breathing
- Graded exercise to increase endurance while monitoring oxygen saturation
- Visceral mobilization to restore efficient function impaired by stress on all of your body systems in an effort to fight off the infection.
Who treats post-COVID syndromes at H&D Physical Therapy?
Assessment and treatment are performed by a licensed Physical Therapist. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, schedule an appointment today.
Gregory Hullstrung, PT, Cert. MDT, FAFS
Justin Ettinger, PT, MSPT
Thomas Grunewald, PT
H&D Upper East Side
Patricia Marino, PT, MA
Ginny Maiorino, PT