Pelvic Health & Pain
Who can benefit from Pelvic Health Physical Therapy?
Pelvic Health Physical Therapy is for individuals of all ages and genders who suffer from pain or dysfunction stemming from the pelvic floor.
Symptoms which may be a result of pelvic floor dysfunction include:
- Bowel or bladder issues including difficulty voiding, incontinence, urgency, and frequency
- Pain during or after intercourse
- Unusual heaviness in the lower abdomen or perineum
- Painful menstrual cycles
- Abdominal pain
- Pain with urination or defecation
- Low back pain, groin pain, tailbone pain, SI joint pain
Diagnoses we treat include:
- Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)
- Sacroiliac dysfunction (SI Joint Pain)
- Pudendal Neuralgia
- Urinary Incontinence, Overactive Bladder, Urinary Hesitancy, Urinary Retention
- Constipation or Incomplete emptying, Fecal Incontinence
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Irritable Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Pain with Defecation
- Abdominal Pain and/or Surgical Adhesions
- Interstitial Cystitis (Bladder Pain)
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse: Cystocele, Uterocele, Rectocele, Enterocele, Hydrocele
- Dyspareunia, Vaginismus
- Pain associated with Endometriosis
- Vulvodynia, Vestibulitis
- Mechanical Infertility
- Diastasis Recti
- Erectile Dysfunction of Musculoskeletal Origin, Pain with Erection or Ejaculation, Priapism
- Non-bacterial Prostatitis
- Post-prostatectomy issues
What is pelvic health treatment?
Each patient and diagnosis are different. Pelvic therapy treatments will vary and can include:
- Soft tissue mobilization
- Myofascial release the pelvic floor muscles and surrounding structures
- Visceral mobilization
- Abdominal massage
- Postural reeducation
- Nutritional education
- Exercises for core and pelvic floor muscle coordination.
Modalities such as biofeedback and electrical stimulation to the pelvic muscles are also available if deemed appropriate.
Who treats pelvic health conditions at H&D Physical Therapy?
Assessment and treatment are performed by Physical Therapists specially trained in internal and external management of the pelvic floor and viscera. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, or have received any of the above diagnoses, schedule an appointment today.
H&D Upper East Side
Kaitlyn Parrotte, PT, DPT, OCS, CFMT
Katherine Uy, PT, DPT, CFMT, OCS